• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 Rooms Per 8 Hour Shift check-outs/stay-overs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Olga 

• 1 Star
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

I'm always hearing that the standard is 16 rooms per 8 hours shift. But it isn't specified if this is an even split of check-out and stay-overs which would make 16 rooms acheivable. I personally find 16 check-outs in one 8 hour shift very difficult, especially if some rooms are a bit more messy, if almost every room you have to do has 2 beds, having to run down the dirty linen to the laundry room and any recycling just so the halls don't look like a back alley.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   AinV 

• 6 Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

...from what i know at a 4-5 star at Boyds, Stations, MGM, Venetian or Wynn 8 rooms is standard here in Las Vegas. Who can breakdown and turn a room in 30 minutes?

...that's 1 hskpr per room...

This post has been edited by AinV: 05 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

#3 User is offline   chinaman 

• 3 Star
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:30 AM

first of all, the standard is not 16 rooms for 8 hours. the "standard" is whatever standard you want your hotel to follow. theres no 1 standard that applies to every hotel. every hotel should have their own customised set of standards and systems in order to achieve the highest level of efficiency.

yes, i would agree cleaning 16 checkout rooms in 8 hours is definitely a difficult task. This is why whomever in housekeeping liaises with front office needs to let them know to try and disperse the checkout rooms on to different floors. In the event that an entire group occupies a floor, have an extra RA work on that floor on the expected checkout date of that group.

on top of that, you can setup a reduction system whereby for every 8 checkout rooms (i use 8 only as an example, there is no standard for this so its up to your discretion) you minus 1 room that the RA needs to clean.

also, if you are to do 16 rooms... whether it is checkout/stayover it is by chance. this makes it fair and simple for everyone. but from my experience, 16 FIT checkout rooms is highly unlikely... unless you were working in an airport hotel which i guess the turnover of guests would be higher.

hope that helped a bit

cheers

#4 User is offline   Olga 

• 1 Star
  • Pip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

View Postchinaman, on 05 October 2011 - 01:30 AM, said:

first of all, the standard is not 16 rooms for 8 hours. the "standard" is whatever standard you want your hotel to follow. theres no 1 standard that applies to every hotel. every hotel should have their own customised set of standards and systems in order to achieve the highest level of efficiency.

yes, i would agree cleaning 16 checkout rooms in 8 hours is definitely a difficult task. This is why whomever in housekeeping liaises with front office needs to let them know to try and disperse the checkout rooms on to different floors. In the event that an entire group occupies a floor, have an extra RA work on that floor on the expected checkout date of that group.

on top of that, you can setup a reduction system whereby for every 8 checkout rooms (i use 8 only as an example, there is no standard for this so its up to your discretion) you minus 1 room that the RA needs to clean.

also, if you are to do 16 rooms... whether it is checkout/stayover it is by chance. this makes it fair and simple for everyone. but from my experience, 16 FIT checkout rooms is highly unlikely... unless you were working in an airport hotel which i guess the turnover of guests would be higher.

hope that helped a bit

cheers

Yes, that has helped thank you. We've had to tell the scheduler to make the ratio between s/o's and c/o's a bit more realistic. For the heavy check out days, we've requested to add an extra person to strip rooms, make some beds etc. We're trying to come up with a 'routine plan' that is followed, rather than just 'winging' it which can be stressful on everyone. We sometimes felt we were 'complaining' too much since management implied we should be able to do any combination of 16 rooms. I think as time goes on, we'll fall into a comfortable routine while keeping management happy.

Changing the duvet covers -- I'm told some hotels change them once a month. Do they usually assign 'extra' staff to change these? Is this an 'extra expense' that managment is okay to sign off on? Our thought was to assign 2 staff members to just change the duvet covers until the task is finished, maybe 3 days to complete? (This hotel is under 75 rooms). While doing this task, the rooms that a housekeeper hasn't gotten to yet, is just to completely make the bed for her, and to change the duvet cover. This will not only get the duvet changed, but helps out the housekeeper as well.

What are some thoughts or other ways to get this task done?

#5 User is offline   Olga 

• 1 Star
  • Pip

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I should add this is a 3 star hotel.

#6 User is offline   davidanderson 

• Newly registered

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

There are different standards for every hotel. They vary one to another. Cleaning of 16 checouts in 8 hours is definitely a tough task.

This post has been edited by EhotelierModerator: 26 February 2012 - 09:26 AM
Reason for edit: Deleted a url link: Direct Marketing

#7 User is offline   LadyR 

• Newly registered

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Our rule is an half an hour per room (check out) stay overs are 20 min. calculated which in an 8 hour shift technically means 16 rooms. I personally think it's quite a challenge with stripping the beds, getting the linen from the laundry room and have everything cleaned in 30 minutes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users