• You cannot reply to this topic

Restaurant Briefing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JayMariano 

• 2 Star
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Dear all,

I've started my internship last monday and now i'll be running a restaurant, supported by a restaurant manager from other outlet.

Would like to hear some instructions and toughts from you in some aspects to consider in the briefing after the service starts as well as any other matters you find usefull as i dont want to forget nothing.

thank you.

Best regards,
jay the young hotelier

#2 User is offline   waynedarwin 

• 3 Star
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

I kind of use a "template" during briefings for our restaurants and bars. I touch these subjects:

Yesterdays service
Yesterdays comment cards
Todays Reservations
Vips in house
Kitchen (any food unavailable)
Beverage (any drinks unavailable)
Wine (any wine unavailable)
Daily specials (food, wine or beverage, chef/souschef explains)

Then I let one or two waiters repeat the daily special, and let others correct, if necesarry
Upcoming events
Three questions (can be anything, from food or beverage questions, to general info about the hotel)
I usually talk for 3 minutes about our companies core values, mission & vision
3 minute open discussion.

that´s it

wayne

#3 User is offline   AinV 

• 6 Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

@Jaymariano:

If you are still in China I would have it translated!

Also, I would avoid anything in writing during service. Not needed after service starts. Verbal pointers from YOU!
However, a recap might work in your place-at the end of service. But not too long. It's a thank you, and a positive look at the next service period, (even if the business forecast says otherwise).
Not to forget-give a "shout out" to the staff. Spread the praise! Keep it simple. A daily spiff is good. Money or gifts or points towards a gift of work well done. Weekly and monthly spiffs are good too. They work. And if you are in a really busy place and can afford it try a 6 month spiff/gift. These are really big spiffs...not all places utilize this...an example here is a new car for a call center...Hitlon Grand vacations and other call centers do this. They work.

But you are responsible for team building...create the form that works in your place, include everyone. Never criticise your staff in front of other staff. (esp in China).

#4 User is offline   JayMariano 

• 2 Star
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

Wayne, AinV,
Thanks.

@AinV:
Yes Im in China and yes recap and trainning is really necessary here, staff forgets very often instructions and corrections.. enters in one ear and goes out by the another easily.

Im always polite with them especially when trainning and correcting, Im feeling that they do support me and are happy with me, first days i was afraid of rejection or feeling unwanted by being too young and foreign (they're very ambitious and competitive with eachothers) ,so i want to keep this.

Yes Annon, sometimes they're just say yes I understand but they didn't understand nothing rotfl, so I have one waiter that has good english skills so I always ask him to translate some points.

Not so busy ATM, but the business will be back in town during March, its a italian restaurant, I have a good team, experienced bartender, good waiters but they all need train in restaurant behaviours and in the SOPs.

tks mates.

#5 User is offline   AinV 

• 6 Star
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

@JayM: Cool. I worked in 3 cities a loooong time ago but some things never change! If you are confident, age will never matter.
...as long as you are fair and respectful-all else falls into place.
Something fun, try using a fable or expression from your country, in any given situation...and ask your Chinese staff to do the same. It's fun. But they will win the competition!! (numbers). Can be fun.
Thank you for sharing and Good Luck in your journey....
:rolleyes:
(may the translation be with you!!)

#6 User is offline   FnB2011 

• 2 Star
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hi Jay,

I do have a briefing template that may give you some ideas.
You will find on this link http://www.foodandbe...FREE-SOP-s.html

All the best with your internship.

FnB

#7 User is offline   kenrichatkins 

• 1 Star
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for sharing those information guys, Jay, thanks for the link, a big help for me.

#8 User is offline   maxweber 

• Newly registered

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

I was wondring for a very powerful "back office" tool to handle the daily tracking about my restaurant. cheers on finding :D online food ordering
system.

#9 User is offline   kalveinarthur 

• 1 Star
  • Pip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

Good back office tool is a big help for food ordering system.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users