On 12 December 2017, Hotel ICON will be organising the first-ever Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) conference for the hospitality industry inHong Kong. It is an event dedicated to sharing knowledge about best D&I practices and actionable tools in enhancing minority access and gender diversity, and promoting inclusion in the areas of disability, LGBT and more, within the workplace. The full-day conference will take place from 8:30AM to 5:30PM (HKT) at Silverbox Ballroom, Level 1, Hotel ICON.
According to Richard Hatter, General Manager of Hotel ICON, “Guests from all over the world come to stay with us at ICON. Regardless of age, race, gender or religion, they all feel at home and are served with kindness. The diversity of cultures among our guests also implies a diversity of customer expectations. With a team of people from different cultural backgrounds, I believe that Hotel ICON has a competitive edge over others in catering to a wide customer base. Cultural awareness, sensitivity and understanding of cultural differences is imperative for business success, which is why we are organising the first-ever Diversity and Inclusion conference for our industry.”
“As the result of the combined efforts of Big Love Alliance, CareER, Community Business and Hotel ICON, the Diversity & Inclusion Conference will bring together more than 150 executives and leaders to develop effective strategies to build a minority, gender diverse, and LGBT collaborative culture at the workplace. Through inclusive employment strategies, this will in turn drive productivity, retention and employee commitment,” added Hatter.
Event highlights include:
- Introducing Diversity and Inclusion: the Business Case and Strategy for Asia by Fern Ngai, Chief Executive Officer, Community Business
- Promoting Minority Inclusion at the Workplace by Jade Anderson, Anti-Human Trafficking Coordinator, Justice Centre Hong Kong
- Being a Leader and not a Man in the hospitality industry in Hong Kong: Social Expectations and Profiling, Coping Strategies with Career Barriers, Feminine Leadership by Dr. Basak Denizci Guillet, Associate Professor, School of Hotel and Tourism Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- LGBT Inclusion Best Practice by Brian Leung, Chief Operating Officer, Big Love Alliance
- Dismantling the System of intolerance by Paul Choi, Managing Director, Human Capital Management, Goldman Sachs
- Key sharing of biggest barriers for people with disabilities in the industry and what is needed to promote disability within their organisations by Walter Tsui, Founder, CareER
Participants at the Conference are also invited to challenge their senses beyond vision by eating a three-course lunch while wearing blindfolds in order to simulate the feeling of a blind person’s eating routine.
As a thought leader in the industry and a champion of diversity and inclusion, Hotel ICON hopes to set a precedent that other hospitality employers will follow.
The Diversity & Inclusion Conference is just one of many activities in which Hotel ICON is participating to support equitable and inclusive practices this year. The hotel was also a major sponsor for last month’s Pink Dot Hong Kong LGBT diversity and equality carnival, as well as the upcoming Hong Kong Pride Parade on 25 November 2017. Additionally, the hotel also announced last month that employees and their legally married spouses of the same gender will receive full medical insurance coverage and benefits. Hotel ICON is also the venue sponsor of many diversity and inclusion events such as the career expo for disabled students and the LGBT + Index Award.
For the full agenda, speakers’ profiles and to register, please visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/diversity-inclusion-conference-2017-tickets-39607304514